This poem came to me as I read Mark Nepo’s inspirational reading for today, the Ocean of Spirit.
The Wind Moves Through It
The wind moves through it
a soft heart song, the gentle rustle.
The light shines upon it,
a glittering mosaic, the fluttering movement.
Grace blesses the tree
as she stands rooted and strong –
and open and vulnerable
to the touch of her friends.
Below I’ve excerpted the part that inspired me:
“Everywhere we are given examples of how the life giving elements move through us and bring us to life…Consider how the tree has not control over the movement of the wind…like the tree, we as human beings have not control over the movement of grace.” ~Mark Nepo
This lovely meditation by Mark Nepo accompanies the reading:
- Watch the wind move through a familiar tree.
- Watch until the wind has left, and notice how even when still the branches sway slightly.
- Notice how even what seems like a still air is just a subtle wind.
- Meditate on how similar the life of spirit is as it moves through us.
- Feel the force of life like a subtle wind move through you as you breathe.
* I took the photo at Hotel Levante on Corfu, summer 2014.